In 1991, however, the Liberal Democrats won the District Council for the first time, and the constituency returned a Liberal Democrat MP for the first time in 1997.
The Conservatives won control of the District Council in 2011, and strengthened this position in 2015.
Through the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, Lewes developed as the county town of East Sussex, expanding beyond the line of the town wall.
It was an active port and developed related iron, brewing, and ship building industries.
It is approximately seven miles north of Newhaven, and an equal distance north-east of Brighton.
in a gap in the South Downs, cut through by the River Ouse, and near its confluence with the Winterbourne Stream.
(Professor David Carpenter gave a lecture about the Battle of Lewes at Lewes Town Hall in the summer of 2010; it can be heard at the following website.
) At the time of the Marian Persecutions of 1555–1557, Lewes was the site of the execution of seventeen Protestant martyrs, who were burned at the stake in front of the Star Inn. A memorial to the martyrs was unveiled on Cliffe Hill in 1901.
Lewes Town Council is based in the Town Hall on Lewes High Street.
For many years, Lewes was dominated by the Conservatives, both at local and national levels.